Skiing in Sirdal: Stavanger, Norway

Sports were never my piece of cake after school and college and until I moved to Norway. There is always something to do in Norwegian winters. As the weather is crazy many some times, people tend to do something.. anything and everything. And I love it. They do what not - skiing, snow-boarding, ice skating {on frozen lakes}, ice hockey, curling etc. I think this post is more appropriate after knowing about Norway winters.

Skiing is one of the best and fun winter sports I have come across. It totally sounded scary to me. Who would like to slide off a huge slippery snow mountain with boots heavier than your legs and long logs of iron tied up to your boots which will give you an easy fall and can fracture any part of your body. Because of this, people scared of heights go for cross country skiing. But if you ask me, down hill is more fun than cross country. 

The first time I tried skiing was in New Hampshire, USA which ofcourse was just falling and laughing at others. That's what I remember. Now I can say I am much improved.. apart from laughing part. I go skiing with much confidence now. 

The nearest place for skiing from Stavanger is Sirdal, which is about 3 hours of drive. The ski bus is preferred by many if you have your own skis and can't drive. The way from Stavanger to Sirdal has also fabulous scenic views. If you would like to have pit stops on the way, car is most preferable. As I remember, there are 3 different ski slopes you could choose from. You have training centres at all these slopes for skiing as well as for snowboarding.

Useful links:

Usually I don't like taking pictures as I enjoy skiing more than anything. And also I wouldn't like damaging/losing my camera or mobile which in many cases happen.

Now look at the kid in red - as they say 'Norwegians are born with skis' :)
I feel so ashamed and embarrassed when these kids pass me while I struggle to get myself up with twisted legs.

I looove the slope on the left.. not too steepy, not flat

This is the kids slope where I usually start from.. every single season. The hate part here is going to the top dragging ourselves with the rope along with the kids.


I suppose that's a frozen lake covered with snow.

And that's me unrecognisable with ski goggles covering most of my face. It protects eyes and face from sun though.

Being tired and walking back.

Have fun skiing guys!

~Pria :)

Comments

  1. Oh wow...great to know that you are back Pria...after reading your post, I feel like skiing one day :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Would love your feedback. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Popular posts from this blog

:)

Be Right Back!

Rodeo Carnival